Hi Christian,

Christian Lohmaier kirjoitti 28.2.2024 15:29:
HI Tuomas, *,

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 5:31 PM Tuomas Hietala <tuomas.hietala@iki.fi> wrote:

First, there's the Category feature:
https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-5.0/admin/projects.html#category

Categories aren't completely new, but were improved, previously there
was the option to create component lists/aggregates of components and
I created https://translations.documentfoundation.org/#componentlists
as a first test back in the day, grouping help to their modules as one
way to structure them. I don't know if anyone actually used those for
translation, since they are quite "hidden" in the UI

Yes, the component lists have indeed been there for a while, but like you said they're a bit too hidden and IMO don't really fit into the rest of Weblate's navigation hierarchy.

I think it would be a good idea to make categories for Help based on the existing component lists and then maybe remove the component lists.

Currently on TDF Weblate there are dozens of sometimes somewhat
cryptically named components inside each project. You'll get used to
them after a while but we could reduce confusion and speed up navigation
by making use of categories. There could be one category per module
(Writer, Calc, etc.) and some common categories as well, as many
components are used across the whole suite.

Yep, some like cui and svx are used across everything. And it is
certainly possible to add them, but of course weblate doesn't know on
its own, so it would be ideal if someone could compile a hierarchy
that would make sense from a translator's perspective.

I'll see if I can come up with a proposal.

Also what we're not really using all that much is prioritization of
components/strings (that would change the order if you were to just
hit translate in a project and not manually pick a component).

There's at least one project on Hosted Weblate that uses prioritisation, but it can lead to sudden jumps into completely different position within the component you're translating when you would assume you're just moving to the neighbouring string. I find it unnecessarily confusing.

I wouldn't really recommend using it on TDF Weblate unless the way it's presented to translators is improved in upstream Weblate first.

I guess as a simple test to see how it looks I'll create a
"dictionaries" component - that is relatively easy to scope, has all
strings following the same pattern/basically only the language name
changes between the strings and thus might be a good candidate to
consolidate that way, also large number of components with few
individual strings...

Thanks, that already de-clutters the list of components a lot! But it seems it's only available here:
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui-master/

And not if you navigate to an individual language first:
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui-master/-/fi/

Can you configure it for the languages also or is this a missing feature in uptream Weblate?

Second, there's the Workflow customisation feature:
https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-5.1/workflows.html#workflow-customization

The idea was to allow each language team to make their own decicions
about workflow.

Yes, that's far more preference-dependent/requires input from the
corresponding l10n teams.

So I'm just making sure if it's now okay for teams to
make the switch if they want to?

I don't think our groups currently allow you to switch that yourself,
but you're more than welcome to request a specific workflow for your
language that Sophie or I can then configure for your language/for a
specific project and your language.

Okay, good to know. I'll ask for others' opinion before making decisions, though.

ciao
Christian

Thanks,
Tuomas