Hi Alex,

2012/3/10 Alexander Wilms <alexander.wilms@zoho.com>

Hi Mirek,

Am 09.03.2012 23:17, schrieb Mirek M.:

Given that both Windows and Gnome, and maybe Android, plan to be usable
with both, it's a goal we should have.

You've got a point there.

How would you be able to display the template information when using
single click? Maybe the Details drop-down should simply be hidden when
one
is using a touch device.

Details could be shown:
* On hover -- within a pane docked to the bottom, a floating tooltip, as
transparent overlay over the thumbnail, or triggered by a small "i" icon
that would appear on hover over a thumbnail.
* On selection (under the selection mode).

No need for double-click.

I don't get really this. 'Hovering' does not exist on touch interfaces,
right? How would this work?

I meant both on hovering and on selection. Selection works on touch
interfaces.

I think I'll merge the edit mode with what you descibed for deleting
them.

I'd still prefer if you only had a selection mode. Gnome has put quite a
lot of thought into the Selection mode -- see the "Selections and
Contextual Actions" section of
http://afaikblog.wordpress.**com/2012/02/10/a-new-approach-**
to-gnome-application-design<http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/a-new-approach-to-gnome-application-design>
,
and it's great.

If you have to have an edit mode, though, please use the standard pencil
icon.

What would the selection mode be used for if not editing the library of
templates? What would be the difference?

The selection mode would be simply used for selecting.

"Edit mode" is vague, and therefore a bit confusing. The user doesn't know
what features (s)he might find under the "Edit mode" and what features are
available up front. The mode just unnecessarily adds surface area (a
measure of how complex the UI is) to the dialog.

I'd prefer to have all the editing features up-front in a non-distracting
sort of way. That's how file managers work -- why should template managers
work differently? If anything, template managers should be simpler, as they
deal with just a single file type.

BTW, instead of having a separate category view, wouldn't it be simpler if
we just used "folders". That way, users could group templates if they
needed to, but wouldn't be forced to use categories for every template. It
would be similar to how all file managers work and to how Android and iOS
folders on its homescreen work, and how the LibreOffice file manager for
mobile operating systems might work. Familiarity is a good thing. :)

Also, the 'Show categories' checkbox is only shown when in edit mode. I
don't know how often that wpould be used, so it might be a better
choice to
put that option in the toolbar, as you said.

Regarding the management of the categories: This would be done in the
edit
mode as well, I just hadn't it added to the mock-up yet. I'll do so now.

I have another question: How should favorites and recently used
templates
be managed?

Have another tab in the notebook widget like this:

------------------------------****----------------------------**--**
------------
 []  []  []  []
------------------------------****----------------------------**--**

------------

          [Favorites | Text | Slideshow | spreadsheet]

Recents ------------------------------****--------------

Template1  Template2  Template3

Frankly, I wouldn't use a separate tab, simply because a user looking for
his favorite slideshow template won't want to use a tab where document,
spreadsheet, and slideshow templates are mixed together. Instead, I would
have a "Favorites" and a "Recent" category for each filetype, each
spanning
a single row.

That sounds reasonable. The 'recent'-category wouldn't show up in the
edit mode, then.

But what if a user wanted to delete or rename a recently-used template?

Regards,

Alex

--
deleted